Dr. Ana Cristina Vega Lugo is the Senior Food Scientist for the Canadian Food & Wine Institution Innovation Centre, part of the Research & Innovation Division at the College. Ana Cristina is responsible for managing the research/student team and resources required for all product and process innovation, food safety, analytical lab and label compliance services, and other technical service and applied research activities. A trained food engineer and scientist with a PhD degree in food science, Ana Cristina has 10 years’ experience in food science and commercialization, including in development, troubleshooting and applicable packaging science and technology. Her most recent position was with Hela Spice Canada as a senior product developer.
Day 1: Nov 17, 2020
Build a Culture of Food Safety in Your Company to Minimize Risks
Food manufacturers face the same economic pressures as those in other sectors. They also have unique issues that defy a strict adherence to the bottom line, which requires a different mentality to tackle successfully, especially at the time of the pandemic. Set your company on the path to establishing a culture of food safety by:
- Understanding the different mentality that the most successful companies have adopted as the foundation of their food safety culture
- Recognizing the signs and symptoms of a failed Food Safety Management System (FSMS)
- Learning from real examples of success and failure based on the presence or absence of food safety culture
Master the success factor of the most successful companies and establish a culture of food safety.
Day 2: Nov 18, 2020
Fire side chat
Identify New Regulations for Natural Food Products to be Compliant
Be informed on the framework of natural health products’ claims and added substances. Determine how you can innovate within the latest rules. Create a strategy to:
- Learn how your products meet the criteria
- Identify the investment necessary to update your products
- Clarify what ‘natural’ means from a regulatory standpoint
Develop a roadmap to be compliant and gain insight on guidance for supplemented food.
Day 3: Nov 19, 2020